Questions to Ask Your Weight Loss Surgeon
Choosing to have weight loss surgery isn’t one to take lightly. For many people, it is a decision that follows years of dealing with the problems associated with being overweight or obese. It is a life-changing decision.
It’s important to remember that while weight loss surgery can be a catalyst to help you lose weight, it is not a quick fix, and bariatric surgery isn’t for everyone. Before you make the decision to have weight loss surgery, there are some questions you should ask your doctor.
10 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Weight Loss Surgery
- Is weight loss surgery a good option for me?
- What are the weight loss surgery options available?
- What are the pros, cons, and risks associated with each weight loss surgery option?
- Which weight loss procedure is ideal for my health needs and lifestyle?
- Can weight loss surgery help me manage or overcome other health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, joint problems, or sleep apnea?
- What can I do prior to weight loss surgery to lower my risk of complications from the procedure?
- What can I expect during the procedure and recovery?
- How will weight loss surgery alter my daily habits, such as diet and exercise?
- How can I prepare myself mentally and emotionally for weight loss surgery?
- What can I do to set myself up for success following weight loss surgery?
Questions to Ask When Choosing Your Weight Loss Surgeon
If you think weight loss surgery is a good option for you, there are some questions you should ask your potential surgeon. Here are a few questions to guide you as you choose your weight loss surgeon.
- What is your experience as a weight loss surgeon? (How many procedures have you performed?)
- Which weight loss procedures do you offer your patients?
- What are your success/complication rates?
- How do you help patients prepare for surgery? (What resources do you provide?)
- What long-term, aftercare services do you provide (such as support groups and counseling)?
- Do you have patients who are willing to share their weight loss surgery experiences, both positive and negative?
- What do you expect from your weight loss surgery patients?
Weight loss surgery is not a one-size-fits-all solution. You are unique, and it’s important that you find a surgeon who will carefully evaluate your individual health needs and provide the support you need to be successful on your journey. Asking these questions can help you decide if weight loss surgery is right for you and find a surgeon you can trust.
If you are considering weight loss surgery, schedule an appointment with Cernero Surgery & Aesthetics for a consultation.
*All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.
Posted in: Bariatric Surgery